The Philadelphia Phillies begin the defense of their National League Pennant on Thursday afternoon in Arlington, Texas against the American League’s Texas Rangers in the first of a three-game set from GlobeLife Field.
The Phillies will send Aaron Nola to the mound for his sixth straight Opening Day start. Only Hall of Famers Robin Roberts (12) and Steve Carlton (10) have made more Opening Day starts in Phillies pinstripes. Texas will counter with Jacob deGrom, the former New York Met signed a 5-year/$185MM deal in December.
Speaking of free agents, Trea Turner will make his Phillies regular season debut. The 29-year old signed an 11-year/$300MM in early December. Turner joins a potent lineup that includes Kyle Schwarber, 2022’s NL home run leader, and All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto.
When: Thursday, March 30
Where: GlobeLife Field in Arlington, Texas
First Pitch: 4:05 PM/EDT
Broadcast: SportsRadio 94 WIP and the Phillies Radio Network
Telecast: NBC 10 with Tom McCarthy, John Kruk, & Ruben Amaro Jr.
Phillies: Aaron Nola (2022: 11-13, 3.25 ERA, .96 WHIP)
Rangers: Jacob deGrom (2022 w/NYM: 5-4, 3.08 ERA, .75 WHIP in 11 Starts)
Keep an Eye On…
- Kyle Schwarber is 2-for-14 lifetime against Jacob deGrom with one homer and six Ks. That’s a .143 batting-average-against.
- Trea Turner will be making his Phillies regular season debut. Turner slashed .391/.440/1.043 with five homers and 11 RBIs in the 2023 World Baseball Classic.
- Phillies SP Aaron Nola has never faced the Texas Rangers.
- Rangers starter Jacob deGrom is 9-1 in his career against the Phillies. He has a 2.17 ERA and 136 strikeouts over 20 appearences.
- The Phillies are 7-12 in 19 -games against the Rangers. Texas has won 9-games in a row including a season sweep in 2022.
From the SportsBook
- The Rangers are 57.1% favorites to win (ESPN Analytics)
- The Phillies are +115 on the moneyline according to DraftKings
- The Phillies are +120 on scoring 2.5 runs or more (DraftKings)
- The Phillies moneyline and under 6.5 runs is +330 (DraftKings)
- Brandon Marsh is +2000 to hit the first home run of the game (DraftKings)
The above is not considered betting advice, bet at your own risk. Got a Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler